Re: [users@httpd] Using mod_auth_basic to secure dynamic pages from database

On 8/10/06, Cairen Lajia <Cairen.Lajia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

This is a newbie question, and is my first post.
I am trying to secure some pages of one of our applications using
mod_auth_basic.
I kind of know how to secure the page if it exists in the file system. But
in my case,
all these pages are stored in the database, even including the folders.
For example, below is the url for one of the pages:
http://test.department.myschool.edu/confluence/display/cairen/page_title
Except the
"http://test.department.myschool.edu/confluence/";, all the
rest are retrieved from the database.
In another words, the folders "/display/cairen", and page "page_title" don't
exist on the file system.

I prefer to use .htaccess file since it doesn't require to restart the
apache. How can
 I get those dynamic pages secured using .htaccess? Are there any other
alternatives instead of using .htaccess?
I desperately need some help on this issue.
Your input is highly appreciated!!

You can't use .htaccess to restrict resources that don't come from the
filesystem.

Instead, in httpd.conf, use <Location>. See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html#file-and-web

Joshua.