[users@httpd] Reverse proxying behind a firewall

Hi all...

I'm experiencing a problem with reverse proxying to a gallery (gallery.sf.net) site that resides behind my firewall. I've been having a long discussion over on the gallery forums and it is probably easier to read the problem there rather than re-type it here. Here is the link: http://gallery.menalto.com/node/52712

In short, I think I've found a bug in the gallery software, but I am also experiencing some problem with mod_proxy getting confused. Of course, it is probably me who is confused on how to use ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse.

Basically, I have lines like this:

    ProxyPass / http://apache2.foo.com/gallery2
    ProxyPassReverse / http://apache2.foo.com/gallery2

in my httpd.conf on my webserver that is accessible from the net that is serving HTTP on port 443 (don't ask - firewall issues...).

When apache (1.3) proxy's requests, gallery is dropping the port (the gallery bug), but apache appears to be returning url's to my browser with the 'gallery2' added. So, for example, I make a request for:

    http://apache13.foo.com:443/main.php

and I get back:

    http://apache13.foo.com/gallery2/main.php

I can force gallery to put the 443 in the url, but it is still an invalid url.

I'm hoping that someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

/greg

--
Gregory F. March    |     http://www.gregmarch.com    |    AIM:GfmNet