Re: [users@httpd] Content Negotiation - English zh-TW and Chinese zh-CN

On 8/7/06, Alex Sink <Alex.Sink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We have Simplified Chinese language pages that we wish to serve only to our
mainland Chinese customers, and have all other variants of Chinese language
(example: zh-TW or zh-sg) tags default to English.

Or put differently, I want zh* language-tags (from:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags) to receive English pages and
only zh-CN to receive our Simplified Chinese pages.

I did try the fallback as well, but the plain "zh" tag among others would
still default to Chinese pages for some reason -- even with the:
"ForceLanguagePriority Prefer Fallback" option.  If I try the 'zh-sg' tag it
defaults to the zh-CH page.

My theory fell along the same lines as the other problem, where it falls
back to the shortest letter code, zh and then picks the first alphabetical
choice zh-CH and it never gets to the last step in the apache content
negotiation where language priority would take effect.

I am unsure if there is a workaround, but this seems like it might have a
simple fix similar to what you suggested.  I have been unable to figure it
out thus far and would appreciate any additional help.

The fallback to main language tags is described here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html#better
There is no way to turn off that behavior.

You could use mod_setenvif or mod_rewrite to set the prefer-language
env variable to en in these cases.

Joshua.