Re: [users@httpd] Segfault & MaxClients problems [long]

On Monday 07 August 2006 11:05, Joshua Slive wrote:
>That is clearly a programming error either in php or pcre.  You might
>want to try php forums or the php bug database to see if you can find
>the solution.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message and post a response.
I'll check the PHP forums and mailing lists.

>This problem seems unrelated to the first.  It does seem unusual to
>have all those processes in the closing phase.  When you look at the
>full server-status output, do many of the lines comes from the same
>IP?  This would be an indication of a (deliberate or accidental)
>denial of service attack.  Otherwise, you could look at commonality
>between the types of requests they are processing.

Roughly half of the connections were from IPs that had less than 5
connections open (most had just 1). I would think those are normal
users. The rest of the connections were taken up by half a dozen IPs
with this number of connections open each: 5, 5, 8, 9, 12, 24. Needing
24 connections seems suspicious to me. But those connections were used
to grab images that make up the design of the web site. Perhaps it is a
user with a buggy web browser? Is there a way to tell Apache not to
leave connections in the closing state for so long, and just to hurry
up and close them?