Re: [users@httpd] mod_log_config - time taken to serve the request, in microseconds

On 05/08/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/5/06, Rob Kirkbride <rob.kirkbride@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8/4/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>  On 8/4/06, Rob Kirkbride <rob.kirkbride@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I need to understand exactly what this figure means.
> > Does the figure include any time for the response to be sent back to the
> > client, or is it the time that the web server has completed the
> processing?
> >  We're getting some long duration and I need to understand if we've got
> > network problems at our end, or if it may be because the user is running
> > over a slow connection.
> >

> It is the time from the request is received to the time apache httpd
> completely finishes with the request.  That will include the time
> required to send the file over the network.
>
> Joshua.
>
> Thanks Joshua.
> So the upshot is that it's a useless statistic to see how loaded/busy the
> website is then? We have to achieve a certain percentage within a certain
> time. Is there anything else I can do?

A  certain percentage of what within a certain time?  How busy a
website is depends on the performance of the network and the clients
as well as the server, so your question doesn't seem well-defined.

Joshua.

Sorry you're right. We basically have bands whereby if we achieve >=99% within 1 second the client pays us. If we're between say 98 and 99% the cost is neutral, less than 98 and we pay them.
It's slightly more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.
We have to ensure we have enough web-servers to deal with the requests and this is there way of checking.

Does that help?

Rob