Re: [users@httpd] mod_expires not working

On 8/2/06, Gregor Schneider <rc46fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi guys,

I'm getting nuts here. This is what i have:

Apache HTTPD 2.0.48, Suse 9 something, Tomcat 5.0.28 working together with
Apache HTTPD via mod_jk.

Rather old version of apache.

I have loaded and included both mod_headers and mod_expires (verified via
https:/.../server-info), however, something puzzels me here:

First, I'm attaching my mod_headers.conf and mod_expires.conf:

mod_headers.conf:

      1 <IfModule mod_headers.c>

All the <IfModule ...> and </IfModule> lines just hide useful error
messages.  Get rid of them.

      2    Header unset Pragma
      3    Header set Connection: close env=object_is_pdf
      4    Header set ServerTokens MIN

I don't think you really want an HTTP header called ServerTokens.
Perhaps you want to see the ServerTokens directive.

      5    Header set Cache-Control "public,must-revalidate"
      6 </IfModule>

mod_expires.conf:

      1 <IfModule mod_expires.c>
      2         ExpiresActive On
      3         ExpiresDefault "now plus 10 seconds"
      4         ExpiresByType image/gif "now plus 3 months"
      5         ExpiresByType image/jpeg "now plus 3 months"
      6         ExpiresByType text/html "now plus 3 months"
      7         ExpiresByType text/xml "now plus 3 months"
      8         ExpiresByType text/javascript "now plus 3 months"
      9         ExpiresByType application/pdf "now plus 3 months"
     10 </IfModule>

Line 3 is to work around the IE-bug that you cannot download f.e. pdf's via
SSL, the mod_setenvif.conf is missing here, but this is not the point.

I would expect that I'm getting a response-header saying something like

Expires: Thu, 01 Nov 2006 22:00:00 CET

However, what's coming back is   "Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 CET".

Since we have not implemented a form-based SSO between Apache HTTPD and
Tomcat, we do have to serve our static HTML-content via Tomcat, and I can
see that this header is definately created by Tomcat. When I go directly to
Tomcat via https://myhost:8080/somehtml.html, I get exactly
this header, too.

Now here's my question:

Why does mod_headers not seem to work here? What am I getting wrong?
Please note that I'm quite a newbie to Apache HTTPD and Tomcat, so I might
ask some dumb questions...

My understanding is that mod_expires acts only if no existing Expires
header exists.  It will not override existing headers.

Joshua.