[users@httpd] apache 2.2 and mod_auth_pam

I am trying to upgrade from running mod_auth_pam on the Apache 1.3.X series to mod_auth_pam on the Apache 2.2.X series. I see that the authentication and authorization has changed in Apache from the 2.1 series. I was able to successfully compile the mod_auth_pam module for Apache 2.0.X, but I can't use it because I get errors in the log files:

Tue Aug 01 11:54:52 2006] [error] [client X] (9)Bad file descriptor: Could not open password file: (null) [Tue Aug 01 11:54:58 2006] [error] Internal error: pcfg_openfile() called with NULL filename

... which, as I understand it is because I haven't specified an AuthBasicProvider since the module doesn't define one.

Has anyone made available a mod_authnz_pam module? (or mod_authn_pam and mod_authz_pam)? I can't imagine that i'm the first to want to use pam authentication on the 2.2.X series server. If a module isn't available, is there any way to use the existing authentication module with the 2.2 series server? I can't seem to find anything in the documentation on this. The only thing I can find is a claim that most 2.0 modules will continue to work with 2.2 - they just need to be recompiled, but it seems like with the changes in authentication and authorization that more than recompilation may be necessary...

I wonder why the "pam" module hasn't made it into the default Apache installation yet? I imagine it's used in quite a few installations..

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Jason.