Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.55 bringing Win2k3 to a halt

On 7/26/06, Jim Keller <jim_keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey all,
    I currently added a new server running Win2k3 server standard,
Apache 2, and a decent set of hardware specs (2.8ghz xeon, 1GB ram). I
currently have two other machines running Apache 2 on the same setup
without any issues. In fact, they run quite reliably. However, I'm
having some strange issues with this newest server and was wondering if
someone could shed any light on the problem. Essentially, if Apache is
serving even a light or moderate amount of requests, the machine will
grind to a halt (taking minutes just to process a login, seconds to
respond to mouse clicks, etc) until the Apache service is stopped. I can
reproduce this behavior every time by using ab to send some (maybe 5000)
requests, and the machine stops responding, including no longer handling
HTTP requests, about halfway through the benchmark, even with a
concurrency of only one or two. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling
Apache, running with a completely fresh config, and also tried using
version 2.0.58. I would upgrade to 2.2, but ultimately this machine
needs to run SunOne ASP, which does not currently support Apache 2.2.
However, even with SunOne completely uninstalled and with a fresh
httpd.conf, the slowdown issue is still present. I've tried playing with
ThreadsPerChild and MaxRequestsPerChild, but to no avail. I've also
tried disabling all unnecessary services on the machine, installing all
Windows Updates, and of course rebooting many times.

To see where the apache threads are stuck, see:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace-win

Joshua.