[users@httpd] Perl data-file

Hello,
I have a problem with an Apache version 2.2 server running a Perl script on an Ubuntu 6.06 machine that creates and appends a data-file.
Currently, the data-file exists one folder deep in the document root.
Apache clients run as the user daemon in group daemon.
When the data-file is created, the file ownership and group is set to daemon.
The problem with this is that every Apache client runs as daemon, and could simply guess the folder and data-file name, thus displaying sensitive information (like contact information of other client's input) that they shouldn't be able to see.

I tried modifying the Perl script to put the file in another folder outside of the Apache root directory, fortunately Apache denies permission to all folders outside the document root(with the right configuration).

The client should be able to view the index page, input data, and run the Perl script only.
The data-file should only be modifiable by the Perl script, and unable to be read, modified, or executed by daemon.

If you have any advice or tips on this matter, I would truly appreciate your help.

Michael DeClerck