RE: [users@httpd] HTML Form instead of browser prompt for authentication?

You need to understand *why* you get the "ugly browser prompt". It is
not apache that sends this, rather it is generated by the browser. Here
is the sequence of events:

- user requests resource in protected realm. Obviously, since this is a
first request, the user doesn't know that it's protected and so the
request does not contain any credentials.
- server receives request. There are no credentials, so browser sends
back 401 Unathorized.
- browser gets 401, so throws up ugly browser prompt to get creds from
user.
- browser caches creds and re-issues request, this time adding
credentials
- server gets request, checks creds, sends resource
- on all subsequent requests in same realm, browser automatically adds
creds.

So there is no way in this simple scheme to use a custom HTML page for
the login. The only way is to forget about basic auth and use
server-sided logic to control access using cookies (ie
session-handling). There are lots of ways; CGI, PHP, Cocoon, JSP, and
various modules such as posted by Aldrich.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> If yes, how is this done? (CGI and PHP are working)
>
> I use apache 2.0.49.
>
> Cheers,
> Pete

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.