Re: [users@httpd] [DEV-REQUEST] mod_ifenv ported to Apache2

On 7/25/06, SithLord <apache-mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 03:18, Joshua Slive wrote:

> First, SSL without a valid certificate trusted by the client is not
> any safer than plain-text in the end.  A "man-in-the-middle" could sit
> on the wire, provide your clients with a bogus certificate, and
> decrypt all the traffic on the way back and forth to the server.
> Since your clients are used to hitting "ignore" on the certificate
> error warnings, they would be none-the-wiser.

You're absolutely right but I don't have any "clients". These services are not
for public use. This isn't a production service available to real
clients/customers. I have some services at home I like/need to have available
from outside. Moreover, there is nothing absolutely critical and most of
these services could be available through plain HTTP. Remember that I talked
about a "poor's man" HTTPS virtual hosting, nothing related to production
use.

Why do you want to use HTTPS?  So that your communications with these
services can't be intercepted?  Well, if you don't have proper
certificates, you aren't getting that benefit, so you might as well
just use HTTP.

Joshua.