Re: [users@httpd] Configuring Password Protection

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006, Jerry McAllister wrote:

Using Apache-2.2.2 on a FreeBSD-6.1 STABLE system.

I recently installed 'postfixadmin' on to my system. The documentation
said to insert the following into the httpd.conf file:

<Directory "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin">
         Options Indexes
         AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

That's rather silly.  The only reason to AllowOverride anything at all
is to empower users to vary the configuration for their own
directories.  But that doesn't look like a user's directory!

The only difference between a user's directory and the main document
root is that the document root is configured on the DocumentRoot
directive and gets whatever settings that are made for it.  Overrides
are as necessary for that directory as any other user directory if
the setting is needed to make something happen.    AuthConfig happens
to not be allowed by default, and so needs to be allowed.

////jerry

There is a setting in the htpd.conf file located between the <Directory></Directory> tags near the top of the file that reads like this:

AllowOverride None

I changed it to:

AllowOverride All

However, after restarting Apache the problem still exists.

After doing so and restarting Apache, I was unable to find the file. I
then added the following to the httpd.conf document:

Alias /postfixadmin/ "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin/"

If your documentroot is /usr/local/www/ then that's an alias pointing to
itself (like a symlink to itself).

After restart Apache, I received this message when I attempted to reach
the site:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /postfixadmin/ on this server.

And what's in the error log?