[users@httpd] Configuring Password Protection

Using Apache-2.2.2 on a FreeBSD-6.1 STABLE system.

I recently installed 'postfixadmin' on to my system. The documentation said to insert the following into the httpd.conf file:

<Directory "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin">
        Options Indexes
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

After doing so and restarting Apache, I was unable to find the file. I then added the following to the httpd.conf document:

Alias /postfixadmin/ "/usr/local/www/postfixadmin/"

After restart Apache, I received this message when I attempted to reach the site:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /postfixadmin/ on this server.

These are the .htpasswd and .htaccess files supplied by the program:

# .htaccess
AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/postfixadmin/admin/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Postfix Admin"
AuthType Basic
<limit GET POST>
require valid-user
</limit>

# .htpasswd
admin:$apr1$5ip4S/..$cmAmYFlZa1gLHGwFFw2.G0

I have tried changing password, users, etc, but nothing works. I am never presented with the opportunity to enter any information. I just receive the "Forbidden" message as soon as I try to access the site.

I give up. I finally removed the declarations form httpd.conf and the .ht* files and accesses the site normally. However, I really want to get this working correctly.

I posted my httpd.conf file here:

http://seibercom.net/logs/httpd.conf

I am obviously doing something really stupid. I would appreciate it if someone could assist me.

Ciao!

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx