Re: [users@httpd] referer header field too long?

On 7/24/06, Peter Posselt Vestergaard <PPV@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi
We have a number of Apache HTTP servers installed all with version
2.0.54.
Lately we have seen a number of "400 Bad Request" in the error logs, and
after a lot of testing we have found that this happens then the
"Referer" HTTP header field in the request contains a URL that it more
than 200 characters long.
We have searched the web and apache web site without finding anything
about this.
Can someone confirm this and tell us how to work around it? We cannot
easily replace the servers, so we would prefer another solution... but
if no such exist we would like to know whether this has been corrected
in a later version of the Apache server? We are not interested in the
referer field, so it would be okay if Apache could just ignore it.

200 characters would be a very unusual limit.  You can check
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limitrequestfieldsize
but I suspect the problem may be elsewhere, such as an intermediate proxy.

Joshua.