Re: [users@httpd] RedirectMatch failure at ISP

I've tried many other scenarios and checked Firefox's Live HTTP Headers (which
showed the Location as the original requested page plus an extra slash each
time it recursively redirected), but no joy.

I did notice that the web server is redirecting (301) paths with no ending slash
(such as "test") to a path with a slash ("test/"). I am assuming that this
behavior somehow figures into this mess. Could this be true? The only strange
thing is that it will even redirect "test/index.html" to "test/index.html/"
when I use my own .htaccess file to attempt to redirect to an external link.

How can the Apache web server be configured (httpd.conf) so that it will
redirect ALL redirects (even ones that should be external) to the requested
page plus one extra slash each time? I did find out that the Apache web server
recursively handles mod_rewrite (first checks httpd.conf, then .htaccess, then
back to httpd.conf again) for security reasons (understanable), but I wouldn't
think this is necessary for external links unless Apache can disable routing to
external links. This problem also applies to local redirection (for example,
redirect "test" to "test2" redirects to "test/".

I know how to do page redirection via meta tags and via JavaScript, but I have
read that search engines will put the pages on a blacklist because this type of
page redirection has been typical of spammers. I have a few hundred pages to
redirect, so I really don't want to change each page nor do I want to get
blacklisted.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Darrik