[users@httpd] Re: Apache on Xubuntu problem

moreover, it is caused by attempting to bind the lo interface to a
hostname that cannot be reached, or to a non FQDN. this happens when
you set your hostname THEN fire up ifconfig -up eth0 ...

as xubuntu is starting up, hit ESC. type "linux single" - that will
send you into Single User mode: root.
run this:

hostname ubuntu
ifconfig -up eth0 (any other ifconfig commands you may need)
init 6

and wait until it restarts.

this will allow you to detach yourself from the network long enough to
set up your username and domain and hostname. anything after that, and
you're done (kooked!)

On 7/22/06, Jaqui Greenlees <jaqui_greenlees@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Rick Hogg <eulipion2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> Newbie question here, but whenever I try to run
> Apache
> in Xubuntu Linux, using the command "sudo
> /etc/init.d/apache2 start" I get the following
> error:
>
> apache2: Could not determine the server's fully
> qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for
> ServerName
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to
> address [::]:80
> Unable to open logs
>
> The Xubuntu forum says to use
> "nano /etc/hostname" then "hostname --file
> /etc/hostname" but that breaks my installation with
> this error:
> "sudo: unable to lookup rick-desktop.local via
> gethostbyname()"

and the name rick-desktop.local is a registered domain
name in the dns system?
if not, edit the httpd.conf and specify a FQDN for
apache to work with, or specify it's only available on
a specifc ip address, such as loopback of 127.0.0.1
instead of whichever ip address the network interface
has.

> How can I get Apache up and running?
>
> Thanks in advance!

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.