[users@httpd] redirects in the main server affecting virtual hosts?

Hi all,

How much of the main server's configuration would a virtual host inherit?  The reason I am asking is because I have a Redirect directive in the main server config that points "/pwd" at https://xxx.yyy.zzz.com:85[....]TARGET=https://xxx.yyy.zzz.com:444/pwd/password_change.htm
(the ports are added because I have apache up and running parallel with a sun one server and that is what apache is listening to)

So when I click on the Password Change link (which is just /pwd) it redirects me to my virtual host which is set up with ssl capabilities and runs the password change pages though that host.  Problem is that when it brings up the first page where we enter in our user name, old password and new password and I hit the continue button which submits that form to be processed it comes right back to the first page instead of going to the TARGET url.  My understanding is that the form is suppose to be processed and then it should take me to the password_change.htm page.

Also If I were to just enter https://xxx.yyy.zzz:444/pwd/password_change.htm  it goes to the page form where we enter our user name and old/new password.

So I was wondering if the problem is that the target has /pwd in it and even though the virtual host is being called it sees the redirect in the main server and inherits it and sends me to the first form and not the final "you have successfully changed your password" screen.

If that is the problem is there anyway around that other than renaming the directory that password_change.htm is in?

-Lindsey