Re: [users@httpd] NameVirtualHosts has no VirtualHosts

Ki Song wrote:
I've been running an apache/postfix/mysql server for about a year now.

I found out that this error has been going on for a while:

[warn] NameVirtualHost 70.88.225.1:80 has no VirtualHosts

This indicates that you hven't defined any virtual domains to be served by your webserver under this IP.

What does this error message mean? Does it mean that VirtualHosts is not
setup properly? How do I setup virtualhosts properly?

If you aren't serving web pages for your virtual domains, you don't need to set this up.

Basically, this is a mail server that we are running in house. The domain
name of this machine is: mail.knifecenter.com
It is receiving e-mail properly (MX records are setup properly).

However, certain messages that are sent out from this mail server get this
error message:
status=deferred (host mail.python.org sayd: 450 Client host rejected: cannot
find your hostname, [70.88.225.1] (in reply to RCPT command))

Postfix will generate this message if "reject_unknown_client" is set and your IP doesn't resolve to an A record. From http://www.postfix.com/uce.html#smtpd_client_restrictions :

reject_unknown_client - Reject the request when the client IP address has no PTR (address to name) record in the DNS, or when the PTR record does not have a matching A (name to address) record.

A 'dig -x' of your IP returns a PTR record to 70-88-225-1-knife-center-md.hfc.comcastbusiness.net, but a dig of 70-88-225-1-knife-center-md.hfc.comcastbusiness.net doesn't return an A record. Contact your ISP and tell them they need to correct that. The best way to configure it is to point the IP directly to mail.knifecenter.com.

Does this have anything to do with the VirtualHosts error?

Your webserver (Apache) has absolutely nothing to do with your mailserver.

You should have posted this query to the postfix-users@xxxxxxxxxxx list. See http://www.postfix.com/lists.html:

-J

Regards,
Ki