RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess help

I ended up using mod_rewrite.  Works wonderful.  Thanks for the tip.

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:jslive@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 7:48 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess help

On 7/10/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/9/06, Noel Stratton <nstratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Your stated solution was "Require user non-existent-user in the
> > sub-directory .htaccess files"
> >
> > This will prompt the user for a username and password correct?   I
guess this would work, but I was hoping to have the forbidden page come
up right away instead of the authorization required page come up after
the user enters the wrong user name and password three times.  If this
my only solution I will do it, but I was hoping to find some way to
override the root .htaccess file.

> Just add
> ErrorDocument 401
> http://yoursite.example.com/path/to/denied/messages.html
> to the .htaccess in the subdirectory.

Ooops.  No, actually, that won't work.  You'll just need to live with
the password prompt or do some more complex stuff with mod_rewrite.

Joshua.