From: Joost de Heer [mailto:sanguis@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 9:55 AM
To: Ravish Agarwal
Cc: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [users@httpd] Re: problem with mod_rewrite rewiterule with [P](internal proxying)

From the manual page:

"'proxy|P' (force proxy)
This flag forces the substitution part to be internally sent as a proxy request and immediately (rewrite processing stops here) put through the proxy module. You must make sure that the substitution string is a valid URI (typically starting with http://hostname) which can be handled by the Apache proxy module. If not, you will get an error from the proxy module.
Use this flag to achieve a more powerful implementation of the ProxyPass directive, to map remote content into the namespace of the local server.

Note: mod_proxy must be enabled in order to use this flag."

Besides mod_proxy, you need the protocol specific submodules too. If you're reverse proxying to http, add mod_proxy_http, if you're proxying to https, load mod_ssl and enable ssl proxying (SSLProxyEngine on) (and for 2.2, if you're proxying to ajp, you need mod_proxy_ajp)

Joost

Thank and Regards
Ravish Agarwal