RE: [users@httpd] How to tell if Apache is really running

*I* meant "how are you accessing the server?" - if the only way you are aware of is via a browser, admittedly this might seem a silly question. In fact, there are lots of other ways of hitting a server that reveal much more information than a browser usually gives. If you just say things like "no matter what", we've no idea exactly what you tried. Even "cannot access the web site" is uninformative since there are numerous failure conditions in HTTP, all of which have distinct sources. If, however, you state the HTTP response code (eg, 404) then all is clear at this end...

> - what error do you get in the browser (real error please)?
>
> Page not found

Great - a 404. So, apache cannot find the file that the resource leads to. This is actually good news - apache is listening and responding to requests...

Now, if you look in the error log (see below for definition), you will find a line that gives the path to the file it can't find. That might help you understand the misconfiguration.

> in the error logs?
>
> Which error log should I look at?

The one defined by your "ErrorLog" directive. You can call log files by whatever name you like, so we have no idea what the name might be on your system. Only you know...

BTW, the tail you sent was from the file defined by your "TransferLog" directive. It might be called "error_log" on your system, but it contains the log messages apache generates for each request - this is usually called "access_log".

Rgds,
Owen Boyle