Re: [users@httpd] Re: mod_rewrite Scenario Assistance

On 7/1/06, Rob Wilkerson <r.d.wilkerson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks, Joshua.  I'm glad I asked.  The ways I was planning to attempt
would've been *far* more complex.  I had no idea it would be that
simple.

If I understand you correctly...mod_rewrite does *not* modify the CGI
variables?  If not, then I probably don't have to pass anything along
at all.  That, of course, would be ideal.

If by "CGI variables" you mean the query string, then my example did,
in fact, change them.  But if you leave off the "?$1" they should be
left unchanged.  (Your script may need to look in
REDIRECT_QUERY_STRING.  That's why I suggest dumping all the variables
to see what is available.)

One last question (for now), if you don't mind: can you explain your
last paragraph?  For me, local referrers still need redirection.  This
is for a CMS that stores pages as data.  The "landing page" is
actually a rendering engine that compiles and caches the data as a
physical file.  I was trying to simplify the example scenario.  Even
so, I'd like to understand what your final condition is doing.
Specifically, the NC portion.  I believe the rest is checking the
referring URL for anything that is not within the site I'm accessing
and redirecting only then.

I thought you mean langing page as in a page that you redirect
off-site visitors to when they first arrive.  You are correct it is
not needed in the scenario you describe.  NC stands for No Case,
meaning the test is case-insensitive.  Check the documentation for
RewriteCond.

Joshua.