Re: [users@httpd] SSL and reverse proxying

[Sending back to the list.  Please keep the discussion there.]

On 6/29/06, sniedermeyer@xxxxxxx <sniedermeyer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Joshua,

In order to get the communication between the RPS and the web app server to
be SSL though, don't you need to have two certs and a special configuration
vs. having a single cert on the RPS if you're willing to have the
communication between the RPS and the backend web app server unencrypted.
The info were passing between the RPS and web app server needs to remain
secure too.  Any thoughts on some good reference material on that?  I
thought I read something about a combined pool of keys or something, but
like I said, got lost.

Yes, you need two separate certs.  But you need to realize that these
are entirely separate, unrelated connections (from an ssl
perspective).  So it would be best to first work on getting the
client->proxy connection working under ssl, using the normal SSL
config stuff.  Then look at the SSLProxy* directives which are used to
configure the client side of the proxy->web app connection.

I don't know of any tutorials for this stuff, and I'm not all that
familiar with it myself.

Joshua.