[users@httpd] DirectoryIndex not working

Hi,

I'm running a website on apache. I have an index.html in /link. When I request the following link: http://localhost/link/ It gives me a Forbidden error message. However if I rename the index.html to index.htm, the link: http://localhost/link/ works without any problems

This would lead one to believe that the problem lies with DirectoryIndex. However, upon examining the httpd.conf file, I get the
following:
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html home.htm index.cgi index.pl Default.htm default.htm index.xml </IfModule>

Which should in theory solve the problem? ...but it does not :(

The permissions for all the directories and the files are what they should be so I can't seem to think that it's a permission problem.

I also checked the other configuration files and it turned out that the configuration file for php also had it's own DirectoryIndex. So I commented out the original one in httpd.conf and prepended the index.htm, index.html, home.htm, Default.htm, default.htm to the php's DirectoryIndex. This still gave me the same problem.

As for .htaccess files, there are none. If I create my own .htaccess file with Options Indexes, then it displays the directory listing. Once there I can click on the file and it loads the webpage normally...but I'm trying to avoid that option like the plague :)

What am I missing?

Thanks
Nolan