[users@httpd] Reverse Proxy between WebSphere and the WebServer - prevent "Bad Gateway" errors.

I was wondering if anyone on this list has ever
configured a WebSphere environment with a reverse
Proxy (Apache) sitting between the WebSphere App
Server, and the WebServer.

Why would you want to do that you may ask? The answer
is simple ... to secure the WebSphere Application
Server instance from people trying to bypass the
webservers.

Basically, I have WAS listening on the 127.0.0.1
adapter of the server, and have the Proxy Server
listen on the public IP addresses. The proxy server in
turn will proxy the incoming requests from the public
IP to WAS on localhost.

So far all is well. The problem comes with the
WebSphere WebServer plugins. Since we're running our
WAS in a clustered environment -- the WebSphere plugin
does some loadbalancing and logic to determine what
WAS instance is up. If an instance is down, it's
supposed to send the request to one of the alternate
servers.

Unfortunately, with the Proxy server in the middle,
the WAS plugin doesn't detect the WAS instance as
being down, because even with the WAS instance down,
the proxy is accepting connections. This then results
in a "Bad Gateway" error.

Any suggestions on how to circumvent this issue?

Thank you :-)

     Richard