Re: [users@httpd] mod_rewrite combined with scriptalias

On 6/26/06, Brad Bowman <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I seem to be having trouble making url rewrite if it's inside a
ScriptAlias'd directory.

I have the following line in my httpd.conf file:
ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ /var/www/vhosts/site/cgi-bin/

And the following two rules in .htaccess:
RewriteRule ^random/miva(.*)$ /mm5/merchant.mvc$1 [R=301]
RewriteRule ^cgi-bin/miva(.*)$ /mm5/merchant.mvc$1 [R=301]

The first rule properly rewrites when browsing to site/random/miva?
directives=here&more=here, while the second rule refuses to rewrite.
I've had a terrible time finding much reliable information on the
issue, I've found one website that  claims mod_rewrite will not work
on a directory that is a scriptalias, because scriptalias is a
'deeper' apache module, and therefor takes precedence  before
mod_rewrite will kick in. My personal experience on this leads me to
believe this could be true, but since I was only able to find the
information on one site, with nothing to back it up, I figured i'd
see what you guys had to say about that.

Where is the .htaccess located?  In the DocumentRoot or in the cgi-bin
directory?

The easiest fix for this would be to put the RewriteRule's in the
httpd.conf instead of in .htaccess (with appropriate path
adjustments).

Joshua.