Re: [users@httpd] How to deny access based on user agent - help

The problem with ordinary mailto is that it leaves e-mail address exposed to
spamming spiders unless it is constructed dynamically using clientside
scripting. Actually this is the way spammers used to harvest millions of
valid e-mail addresses some time ago. Even if you change @ to [at] or
whatever else, this is not going to protect from spammer search engines
anymore, because it is too easy to decode...
I am not sure for how long it will be safe encoding html documents in base64
or utf. The source is human unreadable, but spiders may look for known
patterns and decode it later.

And it would be a loss disabling Javascript ;-) on many websites, including
Google maps, scientific online apps and others... Unless user is able to
automatically enable it selectively for trusted sites without messing with
browser settings each time. In fact I haven't seen any user/machine obeying
this recommendation.

Then the only safe way (I have been using this for a long time on my
personal site) is displaying e-mail address as image. But then users would
have enter it manually. Well, if one really needs to contact me he would
probably spend a few seconds of writing.

Viktoras