From: Mike Jackson
Date: 06/24/06 01:41:32
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] How to deny access based on user agent - help

But that's just security through obscurity. It only gets you so far. I've
seen newer variations on this that don't look for common exploits - they
spider the site (or maybe it's a human crawler; my bet's on a spider) and
look for contact forms, either with common or uncommon names. Once they find

a page with a form on it, they submit like crazy to find vulnerabilities.
I've seen the same behavior on three different servers, so I know it's not
an isolated attack. Often they'll start by submitting the same email address

to all the fields on the form, then move on to injecting mail headers into
the form input, sometimes with a single dot on a line (to fool sendmail into

thinking it's a new message). There's often a common email address in all
the bogus ones, usually an AOL address - I'll assume they're setting up free

accounts, then abandoning them after they're done with an attack. The last
time I saw one of these, they used the same IP until it was blocked, then
moved on to another one. Our ultimate solution was to change the form
scripts to strip out newline characters - it makes submitted comments look
funny, but there's no chance of header injection attacks.