Re: [users@httpd] How to deny access based on user agent - help

Ellison , John P wrote:
</lurk>
Ok, sorry to drag this out, but I've got to ask... So, this spammer
happens to be using an old OS/browser, so blocking the traffic based on
browser works well.  The spammer could just as easily be using the
lastest version of IE on XP.  What's the real solution here?  I guess
the application should be doing some kind of filtering of the input
data, right?  How is the issue generally handled in the industry?  I
mean, there are a bunch of comment, customer service, type of pages on
websites.  Even blogs that allow content updates for webpages.  Is
spamming just a risk that you take when allowing web users to post data,
or is there software/filtering that is usually done?

Thanks,
JP
<lurk>

Hi JP,

There's no real solution, I'd say. If you allow users to post content, it takes a human to tell whether it's any good. With that said, there is a lot you can do to filter obvious spam out, and various products deal with the problem in different ways. For just one example, check out some of the stuff people are doing with wordpress: http://codex.wordpress.org/Combating_Comment_Spam

Regards,
Jesse Ross