[users@httpd] How to enable modification date for SSI files

Title: How to enable modification date for SSI files

I'm using SSI for most of my site and just noticed that the response header isn't sending the file's last modified date.   In Apache configuration, can you configure Apache to send the requested SSI file's last modified date in the HTTP header without resorting to XBitHack or code modification?

I know I can use XBitHack full; however, I have to turn the group execute bit on (which my security office won't like).  And because of the way our CMS is setup, it's difficult to discriminately turn on the execute bit for specific file types.   And I rather not have to add SSI code into each file, but that would be a very extensive code modification (we have several thousand files).

I've read the mod_expires may offer a method. I've gotten it to work... sort of.

This works, but it uses access time as the modified date.
  <IfModule mod_expires.c>
   ExpiresActive on
   ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 days"
  </IfModule>

When I change to modification, it still returns the access time as the modified date.  Am I going down the wrong path or is this configuration wrong?

  <IfModule mod_expires.c>
   ExpiresActive on
   ExpiresDefault "modification plus 1 days"
  </IfModule>

I may have to use XBitHack but I want to investigate possible alternatives first.