[users@httpd] Suggestions for authorization on intranet?

I’m trying to set up an authorization system using Apache for an internal web site. I’m having a tough time doing it and staying within the constraints that I have. I’m hoping someone here has done this before and can offer me some suggestions or advice.

On our organization’s internal intranet website, we want to block access to some directories based on information stored in a MySQL DB on the server. However, I like to avoid requiring the user to enter another password, or the same password, to view the protected content. I’d like to rely on the network authentication system to authenticate the user, and based on this authentication, allow or block the content.

I thought I had a solution in using the USERNAME environment variable from the workstation, in conjunction with a script on the server. However, we discovered that the USERNAME variable was easily changed and that a user could send any USERNAME that they desired to the script.

I think that the perfect solution to this is an authentication or authorization using LDAP. However, for policy reasons in my organization, this can’t be done. Network authentication is done through Novell Netware 5.1 SP8, which I’m told doesn’t include an LDAP server. I haven’t independently verified this. I’m not very knowledgeable about Novell Netware. I thought the Novell eDirectory was essentially an LDAP system, but this may not be available in Netware 5. Can anyone verify this?

Because of other policy constraints, I’m not allowed to set up a replacement for the network authentication system, using LDAP, and pass the results into Netware.

The only option that I think I have is setting up a password system for the intranet, and forcing users to enter a second password, in addition to the network login, to access content in the protected areas.

Can anyone suggest other ways that I may have overlooked? Can you tell me what systems are in use in your organizations to solve similar problems?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, advice and help.

-Kevin Zembower