Re: [users@httpd] Thousands of VirtualHosts slowing down start/stop/graceful

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On 21.06.06 03:07, jome wrote:
Subject: [users@httpd] Thousands of VirtualHosts slowing down start/stop/graceful

I'm running Apache 2.2.2[1] on a Mac OS X Server 10.3 box, and I'm having some trouble which I'm pretty sure is related to having large amounts of VirtualHosts (or large amounts of Directory). There's currently about 2200 of them and most, if not all, follow a specific scheme[2].

The issue is basically that when I try to run apachectl restart or graceful the execution will take two to three minutes, and right after it will take rougly the same time before the new httpd processes are spawned and during much of this time the server is left unreachable.

so you use different log files for virtual servers?
If so, here is your problem - reopening thousands of files takes ages.

Good idea, but no, I'm using a single log file.

Thanks,

jome