[users@httpd] Re: Intermittent problem with Apache, PHP and SSL

This looks like it's been a problem with IE for a long time.  I found
this on some random PHP forum:

http://phpbuilder.com/board/showthread.php?t=10129746

I haven't had it active long enough to know if it fixed it, but I'm
hoping it did.

On 6/20/06, Jesse Gumm <dkpsys@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So I'm encountering an EXTREMELY intermittent error with Apache, PHP
and SSL, and I THINK it might be an IE only problem, though I haven't
the slightest clue what could be causing the problem, and I haven't
been able to reproduce the error.  I've tried searching for this all
over the place, and so far nothing helpful.  Not even any helpful
leads.

People are getting server not found when trying to submit a form
that's SSL encrypted, and it seems to only affect this one particular
form.  I'm getting no errors logging either, which leads me to believe
that it's actually somehow rewriting the url in the page or in the
submission.  That's proposterous, but it's the only thing I can think
of.

The form tag looks like:

<form action="editprofile.php" method=post>

My hypothesis is further backed up by some file-not-found errors that
WERE logging for random attempts to access the file
editprofile.phpxxxxxxxxx, where the x's are random hex characters
(1-F).  It looked like it was rewriting the url and tacking 8 or so
random hex characters to the file.  To fix this problem, I modifed the
form tag to be

<form action="editprofile.php?" method=post>

Which stopped the "file not found" error.

I've also removed the "form=fakeaction" from the url.rewrite
configuration setting in PHP and I'm still getting reports of this
error.  This error also only seems to appear when it's using SSL.

I'm using OpenBSD with the stock Apache 1.3.29 with PHP 5.0.5 and
OpenSSL is 0.9.7g

Any ideas?  I'm not sure if this is error is Apache, PHP, SSL, IE, or
if there's something wrong with my code that I just don't see.  It
sounds to me like an IE error, since IE seems to be the only affected
browser, but I can't be sure, and there has to be a way around it if
it IS an IE error, since IE is 55% of my traffic.

Any ideas?

Thanks
-Jesse