Re: [users@httpd] ErrorDocument Question

On 6/19/06, Fenlason, Josh <jfenlason@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I know you can set it up so it will automatically select the correct
language from a selection of something like this:
        /foo/bar.html.en
        /foo/bar.html.fr
        /foo/bar.html.es

That's called "MultiViews"

I want to do the same thing but specify the language in a folder in the
path and not the file name at the end, such as:
        /foo/bar_en/foobar.html
        /foo/bar_fr/foobar.thml
        /foo/bar_es/foobar.html
I've tried looking through the error document and content negotiation
documentation, but I haven't seen anything that says this isn't possible
or that it is possible and how to do it.  Am I blind?  Does anyone know
if it is even possible?  If it is, any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Anything is possible.  But if you want this all done "automatically",
you should just restructure your files and use MultiViews.  Multiviews
cannot look across different directories.

If you are dead set on using different directories, you can use a
type-map file to specify the location of each language variant.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html

Or, if you are a real glutten for punishment, you could have
mod_rewrite peek into the Accept-Language header and set the
directory.  But Accept-Language parsing is actually pretty
complicated, so you wouldn't be able to do a really good job with
mod_rewrite.

Joshua.