[users@httpd] Is it more secure to only return 200 and 404 error codes?

The suggestion has been made to me that it is more secure to configure
Apache to only return 200 and 404 error codes (or something similar)
so that situations that would return any other 4xx or 5xx code will
return 404 codes.

The reasoning given for this is that it limits the amount of
information available to a cracker about what is available from the
webroot / how Apache is configured.

This doesn't seem to be a good idea to me as it seems that it would
violate the principle of returning appropriate error codes as defined
in RFC 2616.

I am really interested in the opinion of other Apache users /
developers though - as I need to have a robust case for action
whichever direction turns out to be the best.

I have also been told that it is 'more secure' to hide the Apache
version number in error reports / etc. This also sounds like 'security
by obscurity' to me but again I would really appreciate any robust
comments from you guys.

Thanks a lot
-Rob

"98.5% of DNA is considered to be junk DNA with no known purpose.
Maybe it's XML tags." -- Anon

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Kernighan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/