Re: [users@httpd] PDF Documentation

On 6/9/06, Joost de Heer <sanguis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

Is there a specific reason why the 2.2 (or 2.0.58) documentation isn't
distributed in PDF format anymore?

Because it takes a chunk of time to generate the pdf file and nobody
has gotten around to it.  The difference between the docs for 2.0.54
(which exist in pdf) and 2.0.58 isn't substantial, so there is no real
need for a 2.0.58 version.  It would be nice to have a 2.2 version,
but I'm not only one who seems to have the proper setup to generate
it, and I don't have the time right now.

To respond to some of Owen's comments, the docs are not in html, but
in a custom xml dialect that is roughly a cross between xhtml and
docbook with a bunch of custom markup to represent our directives and
modules.  I convert it into pdf via an xslt script that converts to
latex and then pdflatex to go to pdf.  The process is not perfect,
because there are some xhtml constructs in use that don't map well to
latex.  But it is pretty good.

Of course, if you have an xslt processor and LaTeX, you can generate
the pdf yourself.

Joshua.