Re: [users@httpd] Re: When suexec won't log

On 6/7/06, reader@xxxxxxxxxxx <reader@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Joshua Slive" <joshua@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>> -rws--x---  1 root root 10880 May 31 15:09 /usr/sbin/suexec2
>
> Obviously the apache user can't execute that.  You need global execute
> permissions.

Setting that to -rws--x--x makes it all work, but isn't there another
way?

=== what follows is not more of my suexec problem... that was solved
with the permission change (thank you).  This is just for discussion ====

Currently I'm experimenting on my home linux machine but my program is
destined for a linux server where I don't own root.

Checking the permissions on that suexec I see:

 -rws--x---  and I'm able to run cgi anywhere in my user
  public_html.

So that server must have something setup differently.  I've examined
its httpd.conf but see no significant difference from mine.
Not sure what else to look at.  It has an /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
file in there as well, and I didn't see anything that stood out as
suexec related in it either. I can examine conf files but not
change them on that server.

Also on gentoo suexec gets installed with -rws--x---
and suexec is enabled in apache install.  But as you've seen it wasn't
working that way.

Check the group ownership.  If the apache user is in the group that
owns suexec, then group execute permissions are enough.

Joshua.