Re: [users@httpd] How do I setup personal webpages in non-standard place?

--- Rob Tanner <rtanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am in the process of building a new server running
> SAMBA for personal
> storage.
>
> We are getting away from shell accounts (no logins)
> and name space
> management will be handled by Active Directory.  The
> user will not have
> local account and therefore no entries in the
> password file (it's all
> being handled by SAMBA and Active Directory).  I
> also want to continue
> to use the public_html mechanism.
>
> The real path is
> /home/CATNET/users/<account-name>/public_html.
> Since
> users won't have a password file entry, how do I
> tell Apache to use that
> path when the GET request is /~account_name?

The same way as you would any other time.
if apache 1.3, mod_userdir
if apache 2.x mpm_userdir

the default authentication for SERVING webpages is
none, your authentication for users to udate their
pages has nothing to do with apache serving them.

The only reason you may have any problems would be
with apache accessing the remote filesystem to serve
the pages, which is samba/ad configuration.

Jaqui