Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost

on 06/06/2006 13:50 Marcos R. Cardoso said the following:

Boyle Owen escreveu:

There is no problem for a single instance of apache to have any number of name-based HTTP VHs on port 80 *and* exactly one HTTPS VH on port 443. What you can't have is name-based HTTPS VHs.

Regarding the original post:

But if I use the NameVirtualHost directive (like "NameVirtualHost myDomain" or "NameVirtualHost myDomain:443"), Apache keep on not starting and the Events List gives me the message that "It's usually allowed socket address only once"

Trying to use name-based VHs with HTTPS flags a warning.
But the interesting part is that, even not using a virtual host, Apache starts normally and I can use https connection using the certificates that I generated temporarily, eve if it's not specified in the http.conf. I don't know if my Web Server is working in a proper way, so I would like some help on it.

It's not too clear what's happening (maybe you could post the real URLs?) but it sounds like this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=113639225506340&w=2

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Let's clarify what's happening: all that I'm trying is only to set the Web Server to work with SSL. And, as far as the documentation is concerned, it's necessary to configure a VirtualHost to listen on Port 443, so you can establish a secure connection. But using the VirtualHost directive, Apache can't start and the following error message is given: [warn] VirtualHost www.myDomain:443 overlaps with VirtualHost www.myDomain:443, the first has precedence, perhaps you need a NameVirtualHost directive

But I only use the VirtualHost directive once! At least in the http.conf it's made once, is there somewhere else where the VirtualHost is defined besides the httpd.conf file?

If you're using RedHat there'll be a conf.d/ssl.conf file

Matt