[users@httpd] Image caching / Expiry times / 304s

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is possible, because to me sending 304s is just "how it all works"!.......however, my boss is looking for ways to prevent a browser continually requesting images from our apache server - these requests inevitably receive a 304 response and the thinking behind this is that this is just a waste of resources on an already very busy server.

We've looked into mod_expiry, but this doesn't really work, because as soon as the expiry time is reached the browser starts requesting it again and a new expiry is never set until the server actually sends the image, so we can make this work with huge expiry times, but thats just not practical as it means the images are never requested even if we've changed them.

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers
Matt