Re: [users@httpd] need help fighting DoS attack on Apache

I'm using Apache 1.3.36. mod_choke is supposed to be able to limit the
number of connections per IP, but fails to do so for the reason
discussed earlier in this thread. mod_evasive, and anti-DoS tool, also
failed to stop the attack.

Nick, you mentioned that Apache 2.2 has built-in countermeasures to
stop this sort of attack.. I haven't been able to find anything on
this myself, so would you mind pointing me to the relevant information
in apache's docs? Maybe I'll have to upgrade..

On 5/28/06, Nick Kew <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 28 May 2006 19:23, Sergey Tsalkov wrote:

> This is very wrong. I can't figure out why Apache doesn't have any
> defense against such an obvious attack -- even the connection limiting
> modules can't help because they have no way of knowing that all the
> requests are coming from the same IP.

Which ones have you tried?  And are you by any chance using
the prefork MPM to maximise the cost to you of each connection?

Apache 2.2 on some platforms uses connection filters to defend
against precisely this kind of attack.

--
Nick Kew