[users@httpd] Apache segfaults whenever I try to load a module

I recently decided to add webmail to my server. So, I
downloaded SquirrelMail. This required that I install
PHP4 for it to run. So, I downloaded PHP and installed
it.

Upon restarting the server, I found that every page I
tried to visit made httpd segfault. I went back, and
commented out the LoadModule line for PHP4. The server
stopped crashing.

I then downloaded the latest version of APR and
APR-Util, as well as httpd, and recompiled them all,
including PHP. I tried again. Segfault every page, php
or not. To test if it was PHP, I downloaded mod_perl,
and tried that. It, too, caused a segfault.

Finally, after much searching of the internet and not
finding anything very useful, someone mentioned
IfModule. I tried that, and found that the modules
didn't load. I never once received any errors during
compilation or installation, and I am at a complete
loss as for what to do now. I would really appreciate
any suggestions on solving this, for if I can't load
any modules at all, this is going to cause issues
every time I want to add something.