[users@httpd] apxs vs. configure to add modules

Hi.  My question is:
Is there a proper method to adding delivered modules to httpd 2.2.2 after
the initial run of configure, make, and install?  That is, should I be able
to use apxs to add modules, as DSOs, after the initial build, or should I be
using configure to compile and add them?

I'm using AIX 5.2ML7, C for AIX 5.2.0.9.  Initially, I'd like to build httpd
to use all shared objects, so I used this configure command:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --with-ssl=/usr/linux
--enable-mods-shared=all --disable-deflate --without-berkeley-db

Later, I tried to add mod_proxy, and mod_proxy_ajp using apxs:
<executed from $source_dir/modules/proxy>
apxs -i -a -c mod_proxy.c
apxs -i -a -c mod_proxy_ajp.c

They compiled and seemed to build/install correctly, but I got the following
error when testing the config:
/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -t
httpd: Syntax error on line 102 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
load /usr/local/apache/modules/mod_proxy.so into server: rtld: 0712-001
Symbol ap_proxy_lb_workers was referenced\n      from module
/usr/local/apache/modules/mod_proxy.so(), but a runtime definition\n      of
the symbol was not found.

So, I eventually found the problem was that a library, proxy_util, was not
being linked into mod_proxy.so by the apxs commands I used.  It turns out
that if the proxy modules are specified explicitly in the configure command,
then the build is performed correctly.  It occurred to me that maybe apxs is
doing exactly what I told it to, and that I might be left up to the user to
sort out dependencies.

If I'm missing a flag or something in the apxs command, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,
JP