RE: [users@httpd] Next Newbee Question - Can´t access host from outside firewall...

Do you understand what this message means?

For your site to work on the public internet, it must have (at least) a public IP address. It can also have a proper domain name (eg, www.nilsborgje.com) that resolves to the IP address.

To learn more about this, go to google and enter "DNS how it works".

Then read on...

> 1. I have checked all possible problem by turning off Norton Antivirus
> and such stuff...
> 2. I have linked all the incoming traffic on port 80 in the
> firewall to
> my local webhost. Even switched the firewall off.
> 3. I do not understand what the configure is saying in the
> part belove.
> This are the settings at the moment:
>
> # ServerAdmin: Your address, where problems with the server should be
> # e-mailed.  This address appears on some server-generated pages, such
> # as error documents.  e.g. admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> # ServerAdmin webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx # I do not have any own domain
> # ServerAdmin nisse_b@xxxxxxxxx # My email, but an error message comes
> up when staring up the server when this is switched on
>
> # ServerName gives the name and port that the server uses to identify
> itself.
> # This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you
> specify
> # it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
> #
> # If your host doesn't have a registered DNS name, enter its
> IP address
> here.
> # ServerName www.somenet.com:80
> # ServerName 81.227.242.105:80 # My remote IP
> ServerName 192.168.1.33:80 # This is my local host IP. The other

This IP address is not public. The 192.168 range is reserved for private LANs and cannot be used on the public internet.

I'm guessing you have an ADSL router, if so, you need to put here the *public* IP of your router (the router has two interfaces; the internal one connects to your computer and has an internal IP, eg 192.168.0.1. The external interface connects to the internet and has a randomly assigned IP. To see it, go to the config screen of the router and look for it - try browsing http://192.168.0.1 or whatever the router's IP is).

NB - your router's public IP will change frequently. Probably after every reconnect and maybe even every 24 hours if you leave it on... If you need a fixed IP, you need to pay extra - contact your ISP for details.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> alternatives does not help to get remote access as well...
> # ServerName localhost:80
> # ServerName 192.168.1.1:80
>
> Is there any other settings I should consider like Virtual
> host? Please
> give me a hit how I should do.
>
> Thanks
>
> /Nils

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.