[users@httpd] Correction & Question: SSLCertificateFile: RedHat (RHEL4) apache startup failure: ebxml-registry-repository on tomcat on port 6480, with Mambo LAMP Portal on port 8080: Despite Self-Signed Cert: [error] Server should be SSL-aware but has no certificate configured [Hint: SSLCertificateFile]

Please see my previous post for details.

I said that mod_ssl was not installed, but a double check showed that it is.

My question is only about filenames for SSLCertificateFile and/or SSLCertificateKeyFile.

ApacheSSL Documentation says at http://www.apache-ssl.org/docs.html#SSLCertificateFile:

This is your PEM-encoded server certificate (strictly, it is what SSLeay calls PEM, which isn't really).

Example:

SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/apache/certs/my.server.pem

What the process described in RedHat Sys. Admin. Guide Ch. 26.6-26.8 produces in the file ssl.conf located in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ used to configure SSL support is:

SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt

and

SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/conf/ssl.key/server.key

There is a file named server.crt in the specified location, and an server.key file in its corresponding location. Could this lack of a PEM-encoded server certificate, however it is produced, the root cause of httpd start failure?

I have downloaded and installed openssl-0.9.8b and I have also now generated a privkey.pem and a cacert.pem and I have put them in the same directories as the ssl.conf file specified, and edited that file to reflect that, rebooted and httpd still fails to start.

Regards,
Rex Brooks

--
Rex Brooks