RE: [users@httpd] Redirect Problem

The requests will actually be processed by the rules of the correct named virtual host (according to the host header); the only problem is that the certificate the server will use for authenticating to the client is the one defined in the first of the virtual hosts. At the time of SSL session establishment, the HTTP request has not yet been transmitted to the server, so the server cannot possibly know the value of the Host header.

-ascs

-----Original Message-----
From: Krist van Besien [mailto:krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:41 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Redirect Problem

On 5/3/06, Stuart, Ed <Ed.Stuart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We're running Apache 2.0.46 on Red Hat kernel 2.4.  We're trying to
> shorten the URL our clients have to use to connect to an application.
> We have three environments; development, test, and production. Our
> approach is to create a DNS entry in the format of
> environment.appname.domain and have it resolve to
> environment.webserver.domain and when they arrive look at what application they are seeking and redirect them to environment.webserver.domain/appname.
> We've got this working with the DNS as described and the following
> entry in the httpd.conf file.
>
> <VirtualHost *>
> ServerName test.appname.domain
> ServerAlias *
> Redirect permanent / https://testweb.domain/appname </VirtualHost>
>
> Our problem is that if clients mistakenly enter
> https://test.appname.domain instead of http://test.appname.domain they
> are directed to the default page of https://testweb.domain which is the index.html file.
>
> How can we fix this, and is there a better way to solve the original
> problem?

(repost, aparently some keypresses are interpreted by gmail as hotkey and caused a prematures send)

Probably https requests are not processed by te virtual server you described above. Have a look at the ssl config. Also it is not possible to have namevirtual hosts under ssl, so all ssl requests will go to the same virtual host (probably the first)

a command that might give you some hints as to what gets processed by which part of the config is:
httpd -S -DSSL

You could do what you are trying above with a rewrite. This would save you having to add virtual hosts for every app.

For example:

RewriteCond         %{HTTP_HOST}           ^(dev|test|prod)\.(.*)\.domain$
RewriteRule          (.*)
https://%1web.domain/%2/$1 [R,L]

(Disclaimer: This is of the top of my head, I haven't tested it.)

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@xxxxxxxxx
Solothurn, Switzerland