RE: [users@httpd] Re: Re: ASP on Apache

I think the OP might be under the impression that "ASP" is an unambiguous term so, just to clear up a possible terminology misunderstanding:

ASP = Active Server Pages. Originally developed by Microsoft, a technology that allowed you to put dynamic content (written in VBScript) into a web-page. The dynamic content could only be parsed by an ASP interpreter that was an add-on to the MS IIS webserver. This was an entirely proprietary & commercial package that could only work on MS.

However.... For some odd reason, MS didn't patent or protect the term (maybe it is too generic) so now ASP is used to define several technologies that allow dynamic content: Apache:ASP is possibly the most extreme since it uses Perl as the scripting language and Apache as the webserver and so the only thing it has in common with MS-ASP is the three letter acronymn.

To sum up; "ASP" means a different thing to different people and so if you ask "can I use ASP with apache?" you'll get the answer "Yes" or "No" depending on who you ask. And both will be correct... :-)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.