[users@httpd] http max-age header reset using filter in oc4j apache httpd

Hi,
We have a jsp/java filter for image / javascript by using filter pattern in web.xml (*.js ,*.img, *.jpg etc) to sets configurable max-age header based on resource to reduce the number of GET if-modified http request. This works fine in stand alone oc4j app server and I can see on the client the Cache-Control : max-age is correctly set. However when Apache HTTP server is used with oc4j I can see the java filter is getting called and header is set in correctly in java filter however in http debug on the client can see that these headers are unset for some reason. I would appreciate if anyone knows if I am missing any setting in apache config.
Regards,
kesavan