Re: [users@httpd] Question about setting up secure service

Krist and all... Thanks for the information you gave. It helped me to debug some of my mistakes in the .conf files and to understand a bit of what is going wrong.

I think part of the problem is my environment. I have windows 2000 boxes and have an installed Apache 2.0.55 binary (downloaded from the 'net with mod_ssl supposedly enabled).

Using your information, I traced the point where the Apache2 startup fails in my ssl.conf

As soon as the server encounters the <VirtualHost _default_:443> directive, the startup dies.

The server was starting ok because it never got to this directive --
REASON it passed over the <IfDefine SSL> directive as if SSL is not defined.
I uncommented the directive ...
LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
... in the httpd.conf file

Is there anything else I need to do to get SSL defined?

Should I be building my own binary -- I understand from other messages that my compiler (Mcirosoft Visual Studiooooo 2005) is not good for this.

Anybody have any suggestions?