[users@httpd] Redirect Problem

Title: Redirect Problem

We're running Apache 2.0.46 on Red Hat kernel 2.4.  We're trying to shorten the URL our clients have to use to connect to an application.  We have three environments; development, test, and production. Our approach is to create a DNS entry in the format of environment.appname.domain and have it resolve to environment.webserver.domain and when they arrive look at what application they are seeking and redirect them to environment.webserver.domain/appname.  We've got this working with the DNS as described and the following entry in the httpd.conf file.

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName test.appname.domain
ServerAlias *
Redirect permanent / https://testweb.domain/appname </VirtualHost>

Our problem is that if clients mistakenly enter https://test.appname.domain instead of http://test.appname.domain they are directed to the default page of https://testweb.domain which is the index.html file.

How can we fix this, and is there a better way to solve the original problem?

Thanks in advance for your help;
Ed
**Please apply a generous amount of all the usual disclaimers here.**